James D. DuncanAssociateP 803.366.3388
A York County native, James’ practice concentrates on all areas of family law, including divorce, separation agreements, alimony, child custody, visitation and property agreements.
He has represented and defended clients in fault-based grounds for divorce in South Carolina such as adultery and habitual drug and alcohol abuse, and he has represented clients in “no fault” and uncontested divorces. He has also helped couples draft separation agreements, and will assist clients with prenuptial agreements and adoption matters.
James, who is licensed in North Carolina as well as South Carolina, served as a law clerk to the Honorable Daniel D. Hall, Circuit Court Judge of the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit of South Carolina, prior to joining Morton & Gettys. He represented clients in family law, personal injury and workers’ compensation cases for a year in Rock Hill before the clerkship.
Outside his legal practice, James is a member of the York County Cultural and Heritage Commission. He also serves on the board of directors of the Dorothy Day Soup Kitchen.
James is a lifelong resident of York.
• State of South Carolina
• State of North Carolina
• Wofford College, Bachelor of Science Biology, 2004
• Charlotte School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2011
- District 3 Representative to the Culture and Heritage Commission, 2015 – 2017
- Divine Savior Catholic Church, York, 1982 – present
- South Carolina Bar Association:
- Education Law Committee, 2014 – present
- Animal Law Committee, 2014 – present
- York County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- York County Cultural and Heritage Commission, 2015 – present
- Dorothy Day Soup Kitchen in Rock Hill, Board of Directors, 2015 – present
- Junior Achievement of the Catawba Region of South Carolina, 2015 – present
- Men for Change, 2013 – present
- Alzheimer’s Association, Western District of North Carolina Junior Board Member, 2008 – 2011
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Duncan’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case. Morton & Gettys is not responsible for content or statements made on pages outside its site.
- Represented and defended mothers, fathers and grandparents in child custody cases, including custody modification.
- Represented clients for equitable apportionment and division of property proceedings.
- Represented and defended clients in divorces on grounds of adultery, physical cruelty and habitual drunkenness.
- Represented adults and children in legal name change matters.
- Represented and defended fathers and mothers in relocation cases.
- Represented clients in alimony and child support cases, including modification and termination.