John M. ShifletAssociateP 803.366.3388
With more than 400 driving-related cases on his resume, John Mark has the experience and knowledge to assist those accused of a variety of criminal charges, including felony or misdemeanor drunk driving, hit and run, driving on a suspended license and reckless driving.
He also assists drivers with license issues, including suspensions, revocations, appeals and reinstatement.
Before coming to Morton & Gettys, John Mark served as an assistant prosecutor in York County. His work not only gave him experience across a broad spectrum of criminal law, including assault, armed robbery, drug charges and property crimes, but also gave him an insider’s view on how prosecutors develop cases. This perspective allows him to better represent clients whose cases ultimately proceed to trial. During that time he attended training courses on prosecuting commercial drivers, an experience that helps him prepare to defend commercial drivers in his practice as a defense lawyer.
In addition to criminal defense and DUI defense, John Mark’s practice also includes civil litigation. He has handled matters involving landlord-tenant disputes, employment law, construction law and corporate law.
John Mark lives in York with his wife, Maxi Shiflet, and son, John Coleman Shiflet III.
- State of South Carolina
- US District Court, District of South Carolina
- Furman University, Bachelor of Arts, History, 2005
- Charleston School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2010
- York City Chamber of Commerce member, 2014
- Church of the Good Shepherd York SC member 2010 – present
- Furman University Varsity Football member, 2001 – 2005
- Graduate of training courses provided by The South Carolina Commission on Prosecution Coordination and The National District Attorney’s Association (Prosecuting Commercial Drivers)
Recipient of the John R. Justice Scholarship
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Shiflet’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
Prior to joining Morton and Getty’s, John M. Shiflet served as an Assistant Solicitor in the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit Solicitor’s office in York County South Carolina.
Before joining the prosecutor’s office, John was a Law Clerk to one of the resident Circuit Court Judges. As a result of both positions, John acquired considerable experience in the courtroom and the art of trying cases. Such experience is invaluable to potential clients whose cases may ultimately be decided in court.
Handled more than 1,200 warrants involving all areas of criminal law including:
- Driving related offenses: DUI/DUAC and Felony DUI, hit and run, Driving under suspension, reckless driving, open container
- All types of drug charges such as, possession/distribution/trafficking and unlawful possession of prescription drugs
- Criminal domestic violence
- Assault and battery related offenses
- Armed robbery
- Breaking and entering
- Property related offenses: including: larceny, financial transaction card fraud, shoplifting, breach of trust, obtaining property under false pretenses
- Gun/firearm charges
- Handled more than 400 driving related cases and has a profound knowledge of South Carolina’s DUI law, its specific requirements, and how it operates.
- Instructed law enforcement officers in local agencies on the proper administration of Field Sobriety tests (Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus/Walk and turn/ One leg stand).
- Evaluated and assessed cases and evidence to identify any legal or technical problems.
- Developed and maintained working relationships with judges, prosecutors, and law enforcement officers.