Experienced. Skilled. Creative problem-solvers.
J. Richards McCrae III
A York County native who joined Morton & Gettys in 2009, Richards is an experienced trial lawyer whose practice includes personal injury cases and other civil lawsuits.
Richards McCrae, a partner at Morton & Gettys who has been with the firm since 2009, focuses his practice in personal injury, wrongful death and general civil litigation.
Read more about his personal injury work at the M&G Personal Injury Group website. He and our other personal injury attorneys help people who have been harmed or who have lost a loved one as a result of car wrecks, commercial trucking accidents, dog bites, or medical malpractice.
Richards places a strong emphasis on handling all personal injury cases in an efficient and effective manner with the ultimate goal of obtaining the best possible result for his clients.
“What I enjoy doing is being the person that fights for you,” he says on a recent video. “I’m going to make sure that, at the end of the day, you are made whole.”
Richards is a 2004 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law. After obtaining his juris doctorate, he clerked in the 16th Judicial Circuit for Judge John C. Hayes, before practicing for four years with a private firm in Columbia.
He is a native of York County, where he lives with his wife, Jennifer, and their three children.
- South Carolina
- US District Court, South Carolina
- University of South Carolina, BA (History), magna cum laude, 2001
- University of South Carolina School of Law, JD, 2004
- Good Folks of York County, Board of Directors, 2016 – 2020
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 2012 – present; President, 2020 – 2021
- Children’s Attention Home, Board of Directors, 2014 – 2016
- Nationally certified Stroke & Turn Official for USA Swimming
- York County Bar Association member
- Former Cubmaster and Den Leader for Cub Scout Pack 109
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. McCrae’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- Represented a client whose spouse died due to a doctor’s failure to diagnose a blood clot, resulting in a seven-figure settlement.
- Represented a client who was given the incorrect dosage of a blood-thinner medication by her pharmacist, resulting in a significant six-figure settlement.
- Represented a client who was prescribed a medication that he was known to be allergic to, resulting in separate six-figure settlements against both the medical practice that prescribed the medication and the pharmacy that filled the prescription.
- Represented the estate of an individual who died as a result of injuries suffered in a car wreck, resulting in a $950,000 settlement (all available insurance coverage).
- Represented the estate of an individual in a disputed-liability trucking accident, resulting in a $690,000 recovery for the decedent’s family.
- Represented the estate of a worker who died on the job from an electrocution injury, resulting in a substantial six-figure recovery in a disputed-liability case.
- Represented a minor who was struck by a car while walking home from school, resulting in a six-figure settlement in a lawsuit brought against a school district.
- Represented numerous clients in motor vehicle accidents that resulted in six-figure settlements.