J. Richards McCrae IIIPartnerP 803.366.3388
A York County native who joined Morton & Gettys in 2009, Richards is an experienced trial lawyer whose practice includes personal injury cases and other civil lawsuits.
He has represented clients in a wide-range of personal injury matters, including car, truck and boating accidents, work-related injuries, medical malpractice, and wrongful-death cases. These matters typically involve catastrophic injuries, permanent disability, or death, and are often more complicated than they might first appear due to the intricacies of the civil litigation and insurance-claims process. Richards’ experience allows him to handle these cases effectively and efficiently, with a high emphasis on obtaining the best possible result for clients in a timely manner.
Richards came to Morton & Gettys after four years with a firm in Columbia, working almost exclusively on car and trucking accidents as well as other personal injury cases. Prior to that, he worked as a law clerk for Judge John C. Hayes in the 16th Judicial Circuit.
Richards serves the community through a variety of local and state organizations, including the South Carolina Association for Justice, where he has served on the board of governors since 2012, and the Children’s Attention Home in Rock Hill, as a board member since 2014.
Richards and his wife, Jennifer, live in Rock Hill with their two sons, Jack and Bradley.
- South Carolina
- US District Court, South Carolina
- University of South Carolina, BA (History), magna cum laude, 2001
- University of South Carolina School of Law, JD, 2004
- Good Folks of York County, Board of Directors, 2016-present
- Cub Scout Pack 109, den leader
- South Carolina Swimming, stroke and turn official
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 2012 – present
- Children’s Attention Home, Board of Directors, 2014 – 2016
- South Carolina Democratic Party, Executive Committee, 2012 – 2014
- York County Democratic Party chair, 2010 – 2012
- Springfield Middle School Mock Trial Team volunteer coach, 2009
- York County Bar Association member
- USC Alumni Association member
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. McCrae’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- Represented a client who was given the wrong dosage of a prescription medication by her pharmacist, resulting in a two-month long hospital stay and permanent injuries.
- Represented surviving spouses and family members in numerous wrongful death lawsuits.
- Represented numerous clients in motor-vehicle and trucking accidents.
- Represented a client who was viciously attacked by a neighbor’s pit bull.
- Represented three minor children who were severely injured when the boat on which they were passengers exploded.
- Represented a minor child who was struck by a car while walking home from school.