Joseph L. RaadSenior CounselP 803.366.3429
As a certified specialist in estate planning and probate law, Joe has the depth of experience important to clients in matters such as trust formation, business succession planning, guardianships or conservatorships and asset management.
He has worked in this area of the law for more than 30 years, assisting clients of all wealth levels.
Joe can offer clients well-rounded representation that addresses their full range of estate planning needs. He can draft wills, living trusts, powers of attorney, including those covering health care directives and financial authority. He is familiar with the need to plan for special-needs heirs to ensure that their futures are secure, including mechanisms such as trusts, guardianships and tools such as ABLE accounts. He also can help clients avoid probate through mechanisms such as trusts and property ownership planning.
He also offers fiduciary services, acting as a personal representative for estates or trustee for trusts of all sizes.
Joe is active in the community through organizations such as the Rock Hill Kiwanis Club.
Joe and his wife, Lindy, live in Rock Hill. They have three adult children; Phillip, John David and Andrew.
State of South Carolina
- Winthrop University, Bachelor of Science, cum laude, 1979
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1982
Certified by the Supreme Court of South Carolina as a specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law
- Member South Carolina Bar Estate Planning and Probate Law Section Committee 2012 – present
- Member, Rock Hill Kiwanis 1994 – present
- Past member South Carolina Bar Estate Planning and Probate Law Certification Board
- Past member South Carolina Bar Estate Planning and Probate Law Section Committee on Trust Code reform
Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, 2012-2015
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Raad’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- Advised clients on business succession to the next generation.
- Assisted clients in developing a strategy to transfer their business to one child while equalizing distribution to the other children.
Estate Planning and Probate
- Over thirty years’ experience in estate planning and probate law.
- Represented clients of all wealth levels.
- Creatively planned multi-million dollar estates using sophisticated estate planning strategies.
- Familiar with issues involving special-needs heirs.
- Planned estates with large retirement assets to minimize taxes.
- Assisted clients with planning for incapacity with Financial and Health Care Powers of Attorney.
- Advised clients on ways to avoid Probate by creative use of trusts, beneficiary designations and property ownership planning.
- Probated many multi-million dollar estates from start to finish.
- Represented large corporate institutions serving as fiduciary in trusts and estate matters.
- Prepared probate filings to initiate probate, handle the transfer of estate assets, deal with creditor claims, file inventories and accountings with the Probate Court, handle assets in multiple counties and/or states, and timely and properly close the estate in accordance with state law.
- Assisted in the sale of estate assets including business ventures.
- Prepared federal and state estate tax returns.
- Represented clients in estate tax audits with the IRS.
- Will serve as fiduciary for clients in their Wills and Trusts when special circumstances exist.
- Versed in Probate and Trust law