Michael B. SmithPartnerP 803.366.3426
Michael is an experienced divorce lawyer, as well as a certified family law mediator trained to help couples resolve their legal issues without the emotional and financial expense of a lengthy legal battle.
His divorce law practice covers a full range of issues, including spousal support or alimony, child custody and visitation, and child support. He has represented clients in uncontested or no fault divorces, as well as prosecuted cases involving grounds for divorce.
Other attorneys have at times called upon Michael to share his knowledge of family law and attorney’s fees. He has been qualified by the family and magistrate courts as an expert witness on both topics.
A Rock Hill native, Michael is active in his profession as well as his community. He has served on committees of the York County Bar Association to develop the association’s web site and to assist in the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit’s transition to mandatory mediation. He has also served on the boards of various community groups and as a scoutmaster.
Michael and his wife, Miranda West Smith, live in Rock Hill with their five children; Redden, Madeline, Maria, Bennett and Hampton.
- State of South Carolina
- US District Court, South Carolina
- University of South Carolina, Bachelor of Science, Criminal Justice, cum laude, 1996
- Norman A. Wiggins School of Law, Campbell University, Juris Doctor, 2000
- Supreme Court of South Carolina Certified Mediator since 2007
- Supreme Court of South Carolina Certified Arbitrator since 2017
- South Carolina Bar
- House of Delegates, 2015 – present
- Judicial Qualifications Committee, 2019 – present
- York County Bar Association committee for website development
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, member
- SC Academy of Collaborative Professionals, member
- Served on a committee of the York County Bar Association to assist in the sixteen judicial circuits transition to mandatory mediation
- Qualified by family court of the sixteenth judicial circuits as an expert witness on the topics of family law and attorney’s fees
- City of Rock Hill 2020 Comprehensive Plan Update steering committee member, 2010
- Arts Council of York County board member, 2008 – 2009 and 2014 – present
- Leadership York County, 2008
- Teen Health Center board member, 2008
- York Preparatory Academy founding member and executive committee member, 2008 – 2009
- Rock Hill Housing Development Corporation executive committee member, 2007 – 2010
- Resolution of Fee Disputes Board for the Sixteenth Judicial Circuit member, 2005 – present
- Scoutmaster for Venturing Crew 276, BSA, 2000 – 2007
- Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra, Board of Directors, 2019 – present
- Rock Hill Poet Laureate Selection Committee, Member, 2018 – present
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys’ Top 10 in South Carolina, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell Gold Client Champion, 2019 to present
- Kay v. Kay, 2006-UP-076
- Powell v. Hemelt, 2008-UP-24
- State v. Cope, 385 S.C. 274, 684 S.E.2d 177 (S.C. App. 2009)
- State v. Cope, 405 S.C. 317, 748 S.E.2d 194 (2013)
- Billy Wayne Cope v. South Carolina, 135 S.Ct. 400, 190 L.Ed.2d 289, 83 USLW 3234 (2014)
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Smith’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case. Morton & Gettys is not responsible for content or statements made on pages outside its site.
- Prosecuted and defended divorce cases based upon adultery, physical cruelty, and habitual drunkenness.
- Represented wife that required guardian ad litem due to mental health issues in divorce action.
- Defended individuals against claims of common law marriage.
- Obtained finding of common law marriage.
- Obtained custody for numerous mothers and fathers in divorce and custody proceedings.
- Prosecuted and defended cases to modify custody.
- Obtained child custody/visitation for grandparents.
- Defended parents against grandparents’ claims for custody/visitation.
- Defended step-parent named in custody case between parents.
- Represented parents in out-of-state relocation cases.
- Obtained findings of psychological parent.
- Represented parents in visitation modification cases.
- Represented out-of-state father in proceedings to enforce his visitation privileges.
- Prosecuted and defended parents in cases to modify child support.
- Terminated alimony obligations for payor spouses.
- Represented former spouses in alimony modification cases.
- Represented business owner in equitable distribution of marital estate valued over 10 million dollars.
- Obtained name changes for numerous children and adults.
- Represented parents of deceased father in mother’s action to change child’s surname.
- Prosecuted and defended spouses in domestic protection actions.
- Effectively represented guardians ad litem in custody, adoption, and DSS proceedings.
- Served as guardian ad litem for children and imprisoned parents in private and DSS cases.
- Defended parents against DSS.
- Defended father in DSS action to terminate his parental rights.
- Defended father accused of murdering daughter in DSS termination of parental rights case.
- Represented parents in assisted reproduction issues.
- Domesticated international adoptions.
- Obtained adoptions for out-of-state parents.
- Located missing parents in adoption actions.
- Represented clients in adult adoptions.
- Drafted prenuptial, separation, and reconciliation agreements.
- Represented clients in mediations
- Mediated resolutions to domestic issues.
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution.” Pro Bono Law School for Non-Lawyers, South Carolina Bar, 2018
- “Collaborative Divorce Practice.” South Carolina Employee Assistance Professionals Association, 2017
- “Getting the Basic Information.” Family Court Practice Management, South Carolina Bar, 2017
- “Drafting GAL Reports in Compliance with SC Rules of Evidence.” Sixth and Sixteenth Judicial Circuit Guardians ad Litem, 2014
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution.” Pro Bono Law School for Non-Lawyers, South Carolina Bar, 2014