John P. Gettys, Jr.PartnerP 803.366.3388
A co-founder of the firm, John Gettys’ wide-ranging practice focuses on real estate, probate administration, probate litigation and personal injury. He is a preferred closing attorney for some the area’s best-known developers and builders, handling all types of residential real estate closings from purchases to re-finances and home equity lines of credit.
John is an experienced probate litigator. He regularly assists clients with pursuing guardianships and conservatorships for children, aging adults and those with special needs in contested and uncontested matters. Additionally, he has served as counsel for personal representatives and heirs in will disputes as well as trustees and beneficiaries in matters involving the interpretation of trusts.
John is a Certified South Carolina Circuit Court Mediator. In mediation settings, John works with interested parties to achieve a collaborative consensus on difficult issues to help avoid litigation.
John has represented numerous clients in claims arising from motor vehicle accidents and other matters resulting in catastrophic injury. In cases that result in insurance settlements, John draws on his knowledge as a probate attorney to offer advice to clients and their families on the establishment of life-care plans for seriously injured victims.
Always in service to his community, John currently is on the boards of both the Early Learning Partnership and the Jeffrey Williams Foundation and is a member of the advisory board of South State Bank. He is also presently the chairman of the Rock Hill Sports Commission, that has worked to bring, among other events, the 2017 BMX World Championship to Rock Hill. John is a former Rock Hill City Council member, serving Ward 4 from 2002 -2010.
John and his wife, Christi, live in Rock Hill with their three sons, Jack, Grier, and Evan.
State of South Carolina
- Erskine College, Bachelor of Arts, History, 1991
- University of South Carolina, Master of Public Administration, 1995
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1995
- Moot Court Bar
Certified Civil Court Mediator, 2009
- Rock Hill City Council – Ward 4, 2002 – 2010
- Liberty Fellowship Class of 2009
- 10th Midlands class of the Riley Institute at Furman’s Diversity Leaders Initiative, 2017
- South State Bank Advisory Board, 2015 – present
- Early Learning Partnership 2010-2016, former president
- City of Rock Hill Sports Commission 2012 – present, (Chairman)
- Rock Hill School District 3 Bond Committee member, 2015
- First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church – Elder
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Dream Keeper Award – City of Rock Hill Martin Luther King Committee
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Gettys’ practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
Residential Real Estate
- Preferred closing attorney for some of the area’s most well-known builders and developers, including a Fortune 200 homebuilder.
- Have handled a variety of closings over the past 20 years; including conventional financed purchases, owner financed properties, cash deals and other various scenarios.
- Closed and assisted in 1031 exchanges; foreclosure purchases, short sales and other similar workouts.
- Negotiated a arising from a motor vehicle accident and established life-care plan for client.
- Negotiated a settlement against a logging company for dropping a log onto a public highway and crushing the roof of a passing automobile.
- Represented numerous children involved as passengers in motor vehicle accidents, dog bite matters and other complex matters.
Estate Administration & Litigation
- Probated estate with numerous rental properties, debt restructuring, and other related issues.
- Probated estate with missing and lost heirs.
- Probated multi-million dollar estates.
- Negotiated and formalized numerous agreements, workouts and settlements in probate involving minors who inherit assets from deceased parent/grandparent.
- Involved in numerous will disputes, representing named beneficiaries, charities and other affected parties.
Guardianships and Conservatorships
- Represented families with special needs children in obtaining guardianship for child upon attaining the age of majority.
- Represented families with parent/spouse or sibling that required establishment of guardianship/conservatorship due to mental health issues and closed head injuries.
- Established numerous conservatorships for minors inheriting property/money from deceased parent.
- Involved in court approval for a single transaction in lieu of establishment of conservatorship.
- Drafted Trusts for numerous individuals with specific needs covering a wide range of contingencies.
- Preparation of Fiduciary tax returns
- Drafted numerous Wills, Powers of Attorney and other documents necessary for preparing Estate Planning.