Experienced. Skilled. Creative problem-solvers.
Dan is a seasoned civil litigator with experience at all levels of federal and state courts in South Carolina. He represents clients in hearings and trials in the court system as well as before local councils, agencies and commissions.
He has tried many lawsuits, including both jury and bench trials. He also represents clients in urgent matters such as temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions. As a veteran lawyer, he is prepared to battle for clients at the trial level and continue through the appellate courts if necessary.
Dan also helps companies interested in building or expanding in the Central Upstate — including Rock Hill, Fort Mill and York, Chester and Lancaster Counties — obtain the approvals they need to move their projects forward. He has worked with clients on a variety of land use and zoning matters, as well as assisted businesses seeking economic development incentives from state and local government.
Many of Dan’s clients are involved in the construction and real estate development industries.
Dan is active in the community as well. His volunteer work in York County reaches across a broad spectrum of organizations. He serves on the boards of the Rock Hill Economic Development Corporation, where he is chairman of the Entrepreneurship Committee, and NAMI Piedmont Tri-County.
- State of South Carolina
- State of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Princeton University, AB, History, 1987
- University of South Carolina School of Law, JD, 1991
- South Carolina Bar
- House of Delegates, 2007 – 2017
- Judicial Qualifications Committee, 2009 – 2017
- Pro Bono Committee, 16th Circuit Representative, 2017-present
- Law Related Education Committee – Mock Trial Coach
- Sullivan Middle School Mock Trial, Attorney Coach, 2012 – 2013
- South Pointe High School Mock Trial Team, Attorney Coach, 2015
- South Carolina Board of Law Examiners, 2011 – 2016
- South Carolina Supreme Court, Attorney to Assist Office of
- Disciplinary Counsel, 2000 – present
- York County Bar Association, President, 2000 – 2001
- Carolina Community Actions, Inc., Board Member, 2012 – 2017
- South Carolina Real Estate Commission, Member, 1999 – 2004
- Common Cause of South Carolina, Board of Directors, 2006 – 2012
- United Way of York County, Board of Directors, 2011 – 2017
- NAMI Piedmont Tri-County, Board of Directors, 2016 – present
- Rock Hill Economic Development Corporation
- Board of Directors
- Chair, Entrepreneurship Committee
- Rock Hill Housing Authority, Board Member, 2018 – present
- Rock Hill Commission on Children and Youth, #1 Question Committee
- 2011 Pennies for Progress – Citizens for Better & Safer Roads, Chair
- Come See Me Festival, Inc., Board of Directors, 2010 – 2016
- York County Regional Chamber of Commerce Government Relations Task Force, Member, 2000 – present; Vice Chair, 2005
- Princeton University Alumni Schools Committee, 1995 – present
- Rock Hill/York County MLK Task Force, Chair, 2005 – 2008
- Children’s School at Sylvia Circle Montessori Charter School, Board President, 2004 – 2006
- South Pointe School Improvement Council, Chair 2018
- Keystone Substance Abuse Services of York County, Board of Directors, 2002 – 2009
- Pilgrim’s Inn, President, 1996 – 2001
- Liberty Fellowship Class of 2012
- SC Lawyer Weekly’s Go-To Lawyer in Business Law, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated since 2002
- ALM 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Commercial Litigation and Land Use and Zoning
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Construction, and Litigation – Real Estate, 2024
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Ballou’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- Licensed to practice in state and federal court throughout South Carolina and has litigated, arbitrated and mediated a wide variety of business, commercial, real estate, administrative and construction disputes over 24 years of practice.
- Represented Fortune 500 retail chain in litigation involving defective site preparation and construction of detention ponds on industrial warehouse property.
- Represented entrepreneur in obtaining dismissal of federal digital hacking claims by former employer under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
- Defended numerous actions arising from non-compete agreements, trade secret claims, wage claims and related claims against former executive employees.
- Represented a multimillion dollar estate in litigation regarding claims of constructive trust and resulting trust involving title to historic real estate in downtown Charleston, South Carolina.
- Represented client seeking a permanent injunction against issuance of development permits in direct violation of recorded deed restriction.
- Defended declaratory judgment action filed by national homebuilder against real estate developer that also involved counterclaims for breach of contract and substantial actual and punitive damages.
- Local counsel in defense of negligence claims arising from catastrophic airplane crash in Columbia, South Carolina.
- Represented client in products liability claim against manufacturer of airplane components.
- Represented regional retailer in matter seeking enforcement of restrictive covenants limiting permitted uses of real property.
- Represented a client seeking a default judgment against foreign equipment manufacturer in excess of $1 million involving claims under the South Carolina Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Represented utility contractor in breach of contract action against quasi-governmental agency and general contractor.
- Co-counsel in catastrophic personal injury matter alleging defective design and construction of bicycle path and assisted in negotiation of substantial settlement.
- Represented client in rescission of real estate purchase against national homebuilder based upon claims of fraud and negligent misrepresentation by seller.
- Defended insurance coverage dispute involving damage to private aircraft.
- Negotiated settlement on behalf of employer in defense of Title VII employment claims.
- Represented local business against building contractor in defective construction claim.
- Represented client in claim for equitable indemnity filed by national insurance company against local insurance broker based on claims filed under North Carolina workers compensation law.
- Represented homebuilder against purchaser alleging breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing and claims under SCUTPA.
- Domesticated numerous foreign judgments for collection in South Carolina.
- Represented national real estate development company in amendment of existing local government development agreement.
- Assisted national retailer seeking sufficient wetlands mitigation credits and approvals from US Army Corps of Engineers and SCDHEC for development of York County distribution center and national distribution headquarters.
- Represented national retailer seeking to expand York County distribution facilities in identifying and acquiring industrial site in Rock Hill and negotiating real estate agreements with property owners, utility providers and local municipality.
- Negotiated agreements for supply of consistent and redundant electrical power service to Fortune 500 retailer’s corporate data center.
- Assisted regional railroad in rezoning multiple commercial tracts for industrial development subject to new zoning regulations.
- Negotiated numerous commercial and individual owners of real property in negotiation and litigation of eminent domain claims by local government.
- Represented local trucking company in obtaining certification by SC Department of Transportation as a “disadvantaged business enterprise” (DBE).
- Represented individuals and businesses before local zoning boards of appeals, planning commissions and councils on a variety of land use matters, including rezoning matters, and applications for variance and special exception.
- Represented numerous individuals before SC Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation on state professional licensing and disciplinary matters.
- South Carolina counsel for Fortune 100 company for alcoholic beverage licensing matters before SC Department of Revenue.