Melissa CassellAssociateP 803.366.3388
Melissa focuses her practice on corporate, employment law and commercial real estate. She is licensed in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia, allowing her to better serve clients whose business and legal matters cross state lines.
She represents clients in acquiring Real Estate, assets, entities and key employees, from start up to growth to winding up. With clients in a variety of industries, she has drafted and negotiated a myriad of agreements, including purchase and leasing agreements, employment and severance agreements, service agreements, buy and sell agreements, and corporate ownership agreements.
In the healthcare realm, Melissa has represented practitioners including dentists, physicians and physical therapists. She has assisted both for profit and nonprofit providers reaching and executing employment and partnership agreements, as well as navigating the various local and national requirements on healthcare providers.
Melissa has served as an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina School of Law, teaching a Small Business Organization Law Capstone class in which third-year students navigate legal matters that face a hypothetical company during the formation and capitalization stages. As part of her practice, she regularly assists small business owners with many of those same issues, including formation, capitalization, and reorganization of their companies.
Melissa lives in Fort Mill with her husband, Andrew and son, Ben.
- State of South Carolina
- State of North Carolina
- State of Georgia
- University of South Carolina, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration – Marketing and Economics, 2009
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2013
- York County Bar Association, President, 2018
- Affinity Health Center board member – Current
- Come-See-Me, Board of Governors – Current
- Rock Hill Parks Foundation, Board of Governors – Current
- Adjunct Professor, University of South Carolina School of Law 2014- 2015
- Leadership York County Planning Council member – current; class of 2013-2014
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Journal staff member 2011-12; editorial board 2012-13
- University of South Carolina School of Law Pro Bono Board member 2011-2013
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Ms. Cassell’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- Reviewed for application and compliance severance packages, to include non-disclosure agreements, non-compete agreements, and termination agreements.
- Reviewed for application and compliance employment packages, to include performance-based incentive agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-compete agreements, pension plans.
- Negotiated and defended discrimination/wrongful termination claims against employers.
- Served in a general counsel role for multiple employers, guiding through Human Resources and employment matters.
- Drafted, reviewed, and revised several employee handbooks and advised employers on proper policy and enforcement.
- Provided advice to multiple employers navigating potential and threatened litigation.
- Represented pharmacist in compliance review of new pharmacy practice and service agreements with prospective staff and partnering providers.
- Represented healthcare practices in reviewing and drafting midlevel and provider agreements with practice..
- Represented practices in the application of HIPAA to disclosure requests for medical records in pending litigation.
- Represented small businesses in the review and application of requirements for the business under the Affordable Care Act.
- Represented a nonprofit clinic in the review of the terms of a memorandum of understanding to cover its proposed partnership with a larger, for-profit healthcare provider.
- Represented a nonprofit clinic in the review of the terms of a memorandum of understanding for its proposed partnership with another nonprofit clinic.
- Represented practice owners in the expansions and sales of their practices.
- Represented dentists/doctors in joining hospital systems.
Business and Corporate
- Represented small business owners in reviewing available government agency qualifications and certification for businesses.
- Represented potential members in the buy out of other member’s interest in closely help companies..
- Represented several small business owners in the formation and organization of limited liability companies, corporations, and other business entities.
- Represented multiple nonprofit organizations in their incorporation in South Carolina and subsequent application for nonprofit status with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Represented owners of businesses in the sale of their business and/or business assets.
Commercial Real Estate
- Represented developer in negotiating development agreement for residential community in York County.
- Represented developers in planning and dedication stages of infrastructure in Lancaster, Mecklenburg, and York Counties.
- Acted as lead counsel to buyers and seller on acquisitions and sales of multifamily housing complexes all over South Carolina and North Carolina.
- Acted as lead counsel to buyers and sellers in 1031 exchange transactions (both relinquished and replacement properties).
- Acted as lead counsel to buyer of shopping center in Mecklenburg County.
- Acted as lead counsel to buyers of convenience stores and super markets in South Carolina and North Carolina.
- Acted as lead counsel to borrower on numerous SBA, FNMA loan closings.
- Acted as lead counsel, in association with Tennessee counsel, to borrower on Re-finance of marinas in South Carolina and Tennessee.