Melissa CassellAssociateP 803.366.3388
Melissa focuses her practice on corporate employment law in addition to healthcare corporate and transactional law and commercial real estate. She is licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina, allowing her to better serve clients whose business and legal matters cross state lines.
She drafts and reviews a range of documents for businesses as part of her employment law practice, including severance packages, non-compete, and confidentiality agreements. She also helps businesses examine performance-based incentive packages and implement key employee contracts.
In the healthcare realm, Melissa has represented practitioners including dentists, physicians and physical therapists. She has assisted both for profit and nonprofit providers reaching and executing employment and partnership agreements, as well as navigating the requirements various local and national requirements on healthcare providers.
Melissa has served as an adjunct professor at the University of South Carolina School of Law, teaching a Small Business Organization Law Capstone class in which third-year students navigate legal matters that face a hypothetical company during the formation and capitalization stages. As part of her practice, she regularly assists small business owners with many of those same issues, including formation, capitalization, and reorganization of their companies.
Melissa lives in Fort Mill with her husband, Andrew.
- State of South Carolina
- State of North Carolina
- University of South Carolina, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration – Marketing and Economics, 2009
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2013
- York County Bar Association, President, 2018
- Affinity Health Center board member – Current
- Come-See-Me, Board of Governors – Current
- Rock Hill Parks Foundation, Board of Governors – Current
- Adjunct Professor, University of South Carolina School of Law 2014- 2015
- Leadership York County Planning Council member – current; class of 2013-2014
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Journal staff member 2011-12; editorial board 2012-13
- University of South Carolina School of Law Pro Bono Board member 2011-2013
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Ms. Cassell’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- Reviewed for application and compliance severance packages, to include non-disclosure agreements, non-compete agreements, and termination agreements.
- Reviewed for application and compliance employment packages, to include performance-based incentive agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-compete agreements, pension plans.
- Negotiated and defended discrimination/wrongful termination claims against employers.
- Represented pharmacist in compliance review of new pharmacy practice and service agreements with prospective staff and partnering providers.
- Represented physician practices in reviewing and drafting a nurse practitioner agreement with practice.
- Represented dentistry practices in reviewing and drafting an associate agreement for a potential dentist to join the practice.
- Represented physical therapists in the application of HIPAA to disclosure requests for medical records in pending litigation.
- Represented a small business in the review and application of requirements for the business under the Affordable Care Act.
- Represented a nonprofit clinic in the review of the terms of a memorandum of understanding to cover its proposed partnership with a larger, for-profit healthcare provider.
- Represented a nonprofit clinic in the review of the terms of a memorandum of understanding for its proposed partnership with another nonprofit clinic.
- Represented dental practice owners in the sale of their practices.
- Represented physical therapists in the sale of their practices.
- Represented dentists/doctors in joining practices.
Business and Corporate
- Represented small business owners in reviewing available government agency qualifications and certification for his business.
- Represented potential members in the purchase and acquisition of a previous member’s interest in a limited liability company.
- Represented a member in the purchase and acquisition of his former business partner’s interest in a limited liability company.
- Represented several small business owners in the formation and organization of limited liability companies, corporations, and other business entities.
- Represented multiple nonprofit organizations in their incorporation in South Carolina and subsequent application for nonprofit status with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Represented owners of businesses in the sale of their business and/or business assets.