Elizabeth Smith OwenPartnerP 803.366.3388
A veteran attorney, Elizabeth has a practice focusing primarily in family law and education law.
She is an experienced divorce lawyer skilled at representing clients in issues such as child custody, child support, alimony and spousal support, visitation, adoption, and prenuptial agreements. Her education law practice includes counseling school districts on topics ranging from social media issues and legal compliance to general liability.
Elizabeth’s family law practice also involves representing juveniles criminally charged with felonies and misdemeanors, which are adjudicated in Family Court in South Carolina.
Outside of her practice, Elizabeth has served the legal community in other ways. She was the part-time chief municipal judge for the City of York for five years. She is also a past president of the York County Bar Association.
Elizabeth also has a passion for education and her community. She currently serves on the Board of Directors for the York County Natural Gas Authority. She volunteers with numerous community youth and family-oriented organizations, including serving on the board for the Early Learning Partnership of York County, the Resource Development advising board for the Boys and Girls Club of York County, and the York County Community Foundation. Elizabeth co-founded the annual Running of the Turkeys charity 5k on Thanksgiving in York, for the benefit of PATH (People Attempting To Help).
Elizabeth lives in York with her husband, Henry, and their daughters, Mary Alice and Lettie.
- State of South Carolina
- US District Court, District of South Carolina
- College of Charleston, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science; Bachelor of Science, Sociology, 2002
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2005
- Liberty Fellowship, Class of 2019
- York County Natural Gas Authority Board, 2015 – present
- Early Learning Partnership of York County, 2015 – present, Vice President 2016 – 2017, President, 2018-Present
- York County Community Foundation, 2015 – present, Vice President 2018, Vice Chair 2019
- South Carolina Women Lawyers’ Association
- South Carolina Bar Leadership Academy, 2014
- Junior Achievement volunteer, 2015
- Hunter Street Elementary School Improvement Council, 2013 – 2014
- York County Bar Association President – 2009, Vice President – 2008, Secretary – 2007
- Part-time Municipal Judge for City of York, 2008 – 2013
- Co-founder of the annual Running of the Turkeys Charity 5K to Benefit PATH (Positive Affirmation through Help)
- Resource Development Committee of the Boys’ and Girls’ Club of York County, 2017 – 2018
- Young Professional Board of the Boys’ and Girls’ Club of York County, 2007 – 2008
- Junior Welfare League of York County member, 2006 – 2013
- Teen Health Center Volunteer, 2006
- Family Promise volunteer, 2005 – 2007
- Lifelong member and Elder of First Presbyterian Church of York (PCUSA)
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, family law, 2019-20
Disclaimer: The following examples are intended only to be representative of Ms. Owen’s practice. These examples are not intended to, and cannot be relied upon to predict the results in any other case.
- South Carolina Women Lawyer’s Association, Old English Region, Fall Conversation Series: How to Attract Work in Specific Areas of Practice As it Pertains to Client Development, Retention, & Rainmaking, October 2014
- School Law: Facebook, Your “Friend”? April 2013
- School Law: While You Are Working, Where is Liability Lurking? October 2012
- Old Town New World Conference: Today’s Lawyer: A New Look, A New Way of Life October 2009
- Olde English Consortium: Legal Updates, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- School Law: Keeping You in the School House, Not the Courthouse, 2017
- School Law: #Legaleducation, 2018
- Prosecuted and defended child custody cases for mothers, fathers, and grandparents, including custody modification cases.
- Represented clients with multi-million dollar marital estates involving equitable apportionment.
- Prosecuted and defended divorces for adultery, physical cruelty, and habitual drunkenness.
- Represented adults and children in legal name change matters.
- Prosecuted and defended relocation cases on behalf of mothers and fathers.
- Represented clients in alimony and child support cases, including modification and termination cases.
- Represented parents and step-parents in adoption matters.
- Counseled school districts regarding general liability matters.
- Advised school administrators, teachers, and staff about liabilities associated with social media.
- Presented to school board, school administrators, and teachers on liability issues
- Represented students in disciplinary matters.
- Represented and defended clients charged with felonies and misdemeanors, including murder, attempted murder, arson, burglary, armed robbery, DUI, kidnapping, trafficking, and many other charges.
- Represented minors charged as juveniles with felonies and misdemeanors in Family Court.
- Represented clients in bond matters, including obtaining and modifying bond and bond restrictions.